Monday, September 21, 2009

Riverfire

September 12 was Riverfire. I had been looking forward to taking the kids to Riverfire all year and we decided to do it. So after quiet time we packed a picnic, bundled into the car and drove to Northgate station. We wanted to catch a train in, but decided to do it from Northgate so that when it came time to go home we had two lines to choose from.

The kids were excited enough about the train trip :D Joshua was quite anxious that we would miss the fireworks while we waited for the train - he didn't quite understand that we left 3 hours ahead for a reason! Once we got on the train (and we were lucky to get in a train that was almost empty and going to Southbank) they relaxed a bit and enjoyed the novelty of the train trip.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket




Once we got there, (along with half of Brisbane) we walked to find a place to sit. It was already crowded at 5.30 but I was lucky enough to spot a little patch of grass off to the edge of a crowded green and we quickly claimed it. Then it just a bunch of waiting, interspersed with a few walks around, trips to the toilet, eating our chicken rolls, having desserts, playing games on the iPhones and playing with the camera.


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket




And then it was time...

We were lucky enough to be able to hear a little of the radio coverage and so we knew when the count down began and joined in. And ZOOOOMMMM!!! went the F1-11s. Asha froze, and Joshua screamed. Then the fireworks started and that was too much for Asha. She started crying. Fortunately I was prepared for this and got her dummy quick smart. A big cuddle from Daddy and she realised that it wasn't that bad really, and actually kinda pretty. We stood for the 1/2 hour show, loving all the different effects. And then ZOOOOOMMMM!!!! again. The kids were more ready for it this time and covered their ears. I didn't cause I thought it was awesome :D


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket




Photobucket




And as suddenly as it started, it was over. So we piled everything back into the pram and headed for the exit in the direction of the train station. This was a challenge. They had a barricade erected near the Ship Inn where they were confiscating alcohol basically. This was fine going in, though a little slow going. Trouble was, after the show, the security guards were gone and there were more people trying to get in and no one to direct traffic, so it was a massive bottleneck. We were lucky enough that off to the side some bright spark moved one of the barricades aside, and so we went that way. Of course it wasn't open wider than being able to slip through sideways, so it was impossible to get our wide pram through, so Terry man-handled the gate even further open to let more of us out.

We went to the station and piled onto the next train. Piled was certainly the word, cause the train was packed. Caitlin and Joshua were lucky enough to get seats and Terry and I stood, with Asha in the pram. I was really thankful for the seat that Joshua had after a while cause the air was warm and close with so many bodies on the train and I started to get dizzy. So I took his seat and he sat on my lap. I think he was kinda grateful for that too, cause he pretty quickly went to sleep on my lap.

Then we got to the station, piled out, got into the car and went home.

It was an awesome evening - we'll definitely do it again next year.

No comments: