Sunday, October 10, 2010

Birthday girl!

Wednesday was Caitlin's 9th birthday. I'm not sure yet how I feel about the idea of having a 9 year old - surely I'm too young for that? But she, like any normal 9 year old, was super excited that it was her birthday. Wednesday morning was an early start with presents before school, and then she had a pile of cupcakes to take and share with her class and friends.

Saturday we had a little party - mostly family but with a couple of friends. This became a lesson in people letting you down, and also that even if it's your birthday it doesn't mean that the world stops for you. this lesson came in the form of a couple of invited friends being no-shows (which resulted in Caitlin checking the front door every 10 mintues until I told her to give up on them) and some family being unable to make it due to other commitments. It's a hard lesson to learn when you are 9, and it's a hard lesson to help your child learn when you are their Mumma. Broke my heart a little every time she went to the front door and sighed.

But I think they had a nice time regardless - there were cookies to decorate, and there was a birthday mural to create. There were crazy dress up games played and presents to open and food to eat. Of course, the woeful weather meant that they were restricted to inside, but that's also life I guess.

Happy birthday big girl, I can't believe that that tiny bundle in my arms 9 years ago is the dancing, reading, giggling girl I see every day. You are a beautiful treasure and this year you have shown us some of the amazing person you are going to be.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes she is growing up and last year of single figures. Lovely cake very clever. Happy Birthday Caitlin will see you tomorrow afternoon. Love Grandma

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Caitlin!

Oh Michelle, your family is beautiful! xoxo

Chrissy said...

Hey hon LOVE that snake cake!! Look at your biog girl... the years just fly by it seems hey.