Saturday, March 01, 2008

Look at her go


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Oh My, would you look at her! She thinks that she is just ultra cool now, and will hold your hands and power around the house (and street) as fast as her little feet will carry her. She even thinks that she can get away with not holding your hands every so often, and will stop and lean on your legs instead. Its so funny to watch her go, so painful on my back and so terribly bitter sweet to watch the relentless march away from babyhood. Why do they have to grow so fast?

As I type, my big boy is asleep on the rug in front of me. He wanted to stay with us, but needed to sleep, so Terry decided to indulge him and let him go to sleep on the rug if he could. Apparently he could. So funny. Such a little boy at times like this, its crazy to think that I will be sending him off to prep next year. We got his acceptance letter this week, so it is all official.

I had a fun run in with the school this week. We were walking to school on Wednesday and at the beck gate there is a drive for the billion of cars but NO safe pedestrian access. To get in if you are walking you have to squeeze between barriers and gates on the grassed verge, or you take your life in your own hands on the drive (think rich people in 4WDs people). So here was I squeezing my pram (with baby), boy on bike and 6 year old, between a barrier and the fence to the adjacent caretakers cottage. I could have dealt with this (and have many times in the past 2 years) except for the 2 huge and rather ferocious dogs that now reside at said cottage. Now, don't get me wrong, I am actually a dog person, and elected to not react to their aggressiveness towards us (barking and leaping at us behind the fence). However when the german shepherd poked its nose through the fence and grabbed the mosquito cover off the pram, I REACTED. This was officially not on any more. All I could think was that that could have been Asha's hand that that dog grabbed, or her face or foot. So after taking Caitlin to class, I went to the office and stated that I had a complaint to make and I wanted to know who to make it to. (I wasn't about to rant at the receptionist - its not like it was her fault). So she took my details and story and said that she would get WHS to contact me. As it happened, since I stayed to do reading, I was leaving school at the same time as the WHS and properties and facillities guys were walking down to the gate to survey the scene. So I got a really good chance to state my case for safe access at that end of the school. For heavens sake, they are pushing people to park out on the street and walk in (as the carpark is a schemozzle) but there is no where safe for all of these kids (think preppies age 4) to walk! Well, I think that they heard me. HOORAY! I actually got a call from the senior most staff member on campus that day (the dean of staff) letting me know that the incident was officially logged and they were looking into actioning it. AND then he came and found me when I came to pick up Caitlin and told me that a path would be put in from the gate to the park and the dogs would be going. HOORAY again!

I don't make a noise like that very easily, but boy, the safety of my kids was put in jeopardy. That was enough. Don't mess with my cubs (rowrrrr!)

4 comments:

cassandra cusack said...

oh wow look at sweet little Asha go - she's growing up way too fast! you'll have to have another one now!

Good on you for complaining and i'm so pleased the school acted immediately, nothing like a ferocious mum when one of her kidlets is threatened
take care of you sweetie

Chrissy said...

Woohoo and hugs to your clever big girl!! Look at her precious face! :-)

I'm so glad you spoke up about the path at school, safety is safety and just the thought of a dog grabbing any child makes me shiver!!

Unknown said...

Love reading about the goings on in your life,especially the photos. Go Mum! Do what you have to do to keep our precious darlings safe. Jan

Deb said...

Oh dear, your dd is doing exactly the same thing my ds did, growing up way too fast!

Kudos to you on the school path/safety/dog issue and kudos to the school, I hope they do something about it as fast as they investigated it!